I have over 40 years’ experience in both the public and private sector. I firmly believe in the need to create strong supportive teams with a clear direction and goals. In recent years I have become a strong advocate for the removal of stigma attached to poor mental health in the workplace. I am a Mental Health 1st Aid Instructor, Samaritan Listener and co-host of a Men’s MH support group called Mankind.
As a Police Officer for 30 years l gained broad experience in a disciplined and pressurised environment. Most of my career was spent within the Operations Department as a Firearms Officer, Weapons Training Instructor and Tactical Advisor. I had a reputation for remaining calm under pressure with the ability to assess risk quickly and react appropriately. During my career I was exposed to stressful and upsetting incidents, one such incident resulted in me being diagnosed with PTSD. I received treatment and returned to operational duties.
Following my retirement in 2007 I worked as the Civil Contingency Officer for Eastbourne Borough Council, producing emergency plans, advising on and testing event plans and representing the organisation on the Local Resilience Forum.
I spent 6 years as a lecturer on a Public Uniformed Services course in Further and Higher education. My specialist areas were Leadership and Teamwork, Command & Control, Discipline and Responding to Major Incidents. I developed a reputation for enabling students to identify their strengths and areas for development, advising and channelling those skills towards a fulfilling career.
As the Operations manager for a local prestigious jewellers I was responsible for the security of the premises, developing response plans, training staff, planning and co ordinating high value outside events.
As Operations Director of The Wellbeing & Performance Company I work to encourage companies to remove the stigma attached to poor mental health and recognise that a mentally healthy workforce is a more productive one.
Roles and Skills
- Police Officer for 30 years
- Firearms Officer/Instructor
- Strategic/Tactical Advisor to Senior Officers:
- Event Planning
- Coordinating Multi Agency responses
- Security advice
- Project Management
- Civil Contingency Officer
- Development of Emergency and Contingency plans
- Production of Risk Assessments
- Business Continuity Planning
- Lecturer in Further Education
- Leadership and Teamwork Trn
- Emergency Planning
- Practical Leadership & Command Tasks
- Developing & delivering bespoke Training Courses
- Samaritan listener and part of training team
- Mental Health First Aider
- Mental Health Instructor to Level 3
- National Firearms Instructor
- National Bodyguard Course
- Prince 2 (Project Management) Accredited
- DTLLS qualified (Diploma in the Life Long Learning Sector)
- Licenced user of the MTQ Product Family of psychometric assessments:
- ILM leadership
- Carrus Employability Measures
- Mental Health First Aider .