A professional coach and mentor, with over 30 years’ experience of working in the public sector, across a range of operational and senior leadership roles. She has led large teams across both geographical and functional areas, with responsibility for managing budgets, performance and developing teams and individuals. As the lead for improving gender equality within her organisation, Di actively promoted diversity and has a good understanding of some of the issues facing people from under-represented groups. Di believes in the value of working with others and has a proven background in building relationships and achieving positive outcomes through successful partnerships.
Di is passionate about supporting others and as a coach always wants to get the best from people. Her coaching approach is person-centred, believing that given the right environment and support, everyone has the capability within themselves to achieve their full potential, grow as an individual and improve their performance.
Di is skilled in supporting and empowering the client in unlocking their potential and identifying and overcoming barriers to achieving their goals. She combines this with a keen interest in well-being, understanding the impact this can have on an individual and their ability to perform well in their role. Di is able to build relationships at all levels and create a positive coaching environment.
Her coaching style is insightful and intuitive. She is empathic and non-judgemental, actively listening and supporting, whilst at the same time appropriately challenging clients to move forward and be the best they can be. She uses a range of coaching methods and will flex her approach according to the individual client’s needs.’
Background and Achievements
During her 34 year career, with Sussex Police, Di worked through the ranks in a variety of roles, finishing her career as Assistant Chief Constable responsible for People Services across Surrey and Sussex Police. Prior to this she was a Chief Superintendent in the role of Divisional Commander, with responsibility for the policing of East Sussex Division, managing large teams, budgets and performance and working closely with other strategic partners.
- Di was a Strategic Firearms commander and was a “Gold commander”, having oversight of both pre-planned and spontaneous firearms incidents and other critical incidents across the Sussex Police area
- She is passionate about ensuring people fulfil their potential, and throughout her career she has spent time as a mentor and coach, supporting others in their professional development. To enhance her experience and skills, she has trained as a professional coach and is qualified as an ILM level 7 Executive Coach and Mentor.
- Di was the lead on Mental Health for the force and working in partnership with others, she led on the introduction of the Mental Health Street Triage programme into Sussex, significantly improving the policing response to people in mental health crisis and reducing the number of people in MH crisis detained in police custody.
- Di was the Chair of “Evolve”, the Sussex Police Gender Equality network, supporting women in policing and leading on work to increase representation of women in senior positions and under-represented roles. She led the team organising the National Senior Women in Policing conference in 2017, with over 300 delegates attending the highly successful 3 day event focused on improving diversity in policing.
- In recognition of her work on Street Triage ,she was nominated by listeners and awarded the 2015 “Emergency Services award” in the Sovereign radio annual awards.
- In 2015, she received recognition in the Police Superintendents Association national awards, winning the “Diversity” category for her work to improve gender equality in Sussex Police, and her work on Street Triage.
- Winner of “Women in Uniform” – 2016 East Sussex Women in Business Awards
- Winner of “Lifetime Achievement” category – 2016 Sussex Business Women awards
- Appointed Police Governor – South East Coast Ambulance from 2014-2016
Qualifications & Affiliations
- ILM level 7 certificate in Executive Coaching and Mentoring
- Mentor with University of Brighton Momentum programme.
- A licenced user of the Mental Toughness, ILM leadership and Carrus Employability Measures MTQ Product Family
- Chair of the Sussex Police Charitable Trust
- Certificates in Basic and Intermediate Counselling